Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Second Life

I just don't get Second Life. I tried using it a little a while back and gave up. No, I don't really embrace it. Maybe if it develops further, possibly. The one thing I would love is to have meetings in exotic locations, although a real exotic locations would be much preferred (any funding there for a future F2F meeting on a nice island?)

I prefer to use other ways to network and train. I'm all for web 2.0 technology being incorporated into information literacy, but second life is not my favourite option. I do think we need to provide better support for fully online students and web 2.0 technologies would be useful in achieving this.

I just think I need to learn other skills first before I move onto learning about Second Life. And we would need to see if students would use it. What a waste of time and money if they don't. I do think the future will become more virtual, pushing us in the direction to adopt these technologies to remain competitive, but probably when there are more improvements in the IT infrastructure. Let's just see what happens...

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you Vicki (and at this stage not even sure if I'd include this *thing* in the next program. I don't find Second Life useful at all, more frustrating than anything.

    ReplyDelete