Monday, August 20, 2012

Thing 5 - Reflective practice

Reflective practice, to me, is a learning experience.  It's essential to reflect and evaluate on the outcomes of things like courses, workshops, seminars and work / practical experiences. 

At the moment, the most prevalent type of reflective practice is to evaluate what I am doing in the workplace. I am managing the campus library for a week, although my supervisor is a great mentor in helping me to prepare. There is so much that goes on in an academic library - technical issues, keeping up to date with email correspondence and dealing with any conflicting situation that may arise. 

At the same time I'm still trying to develop my own style both as a manager of the environment and a leader that can influence people in a positive way. I'm a perfectionist, so I can be a little hard on myself if I feel I have made the wrong decision about something. But I keep reminding myself to reflect, evaluate and learn and grow. Everyone makes mistakes and we wouldn't learn if we didn't. 

I will be reflecting at the end of this week and also as a process during the week, on what is working well, if anything went wrong and how I would do things differently next time. This is a challenge but I work with some great people, so it makes things a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment