Monday, October 26, 2015

Research Thing 12: Digital curation and content aggregation

I use the following tools:

Feedly
Ever since Google Reader ceased, I tried Netvibes for a while but then discovered Feedly. Great app. for the iPad. You can organise your feeds into folders by subject and favourite posts can be saved to Pocket, as mentioned in the Thing's readings. This is the best way for me to keep my RSS feeds organised, and keep up to date. I also have some RSS feeds in Outlook that are work related, like Library Biz, which works well to not miss anything important for work.

Pinterest
Pinterest I use for fun, I have a home libraries pin board and a style / clothing pinboard. I also had created an apps and gadgets pinboard and a mood board.

FlipBoard
I love to create magazines of RSS feeds from my different social media accounts. You can curate things into magazines, eg. food. People can follow your magazine and get updates as you add content to the magazine. You can also follow other people's magazines. Love the feel of "flippping" the pages like you would a print magazine. Very visual.

Pocket
This and Instapaper makes bookmarking pages on the web and blog posts easy and also more accessible in terms of reading and viewing. The text is much more simplified and you can enlarge the text for easier reading if required. You can organise your bookmarks and pages you have saved to read later.

1 comment:

  1. thanks - yes after I got over Google reader being no more, feedly does the trick. I used to use Flipboard as visually I really did enjoy it- and it picked up lots of other *stuff* but admit I haven't looked at it in a long while....tastes and habits change don't they??

    ReplyDelete